The 2017 BQG Quilt Show: Quilts from the Heartland
The Bloomington Quilters Guild Quilt Show takes place every three years. Our 2017 show is located at Bloomington's Monroe County Convention Center, 302 S. College Ave., Bloomington, Indiana.
Come see over 200 local beautiful quilts! Some quilts will be for sale. Peruse our Treasure Shop to buy fabric, quilting books, notions and handmade craft items. Shop our quilt vendors. Enter your Quilt and take the Unraveled quilt challenge. Guild Members: Volunteer for the show.
Friday, Nov. 10
9 am - 6 pm
Saturday, Nov. 11
9 am - 5 pm
Admission: Adults: $6. Children under 12: FREE.
The deadline for entry form(s) was October 10, 2017.
Volunteer for the Quilt Show
Members: SIGN UP to Volunteer for the Quilts from the Heartland Show. Your help is needed on Nov. 9 for set up and during the show (Nov. 10 and 11). If you already signed up at the meeting, you will be electronically added to the Sign Up list.
Donna Kooistra, AQS Certified Quilt Appraiser, will be available for quilt appraisals on Friday, Nov. 10, during the quilt show.
Written Appraisal: The cost of a written appraisal is $50.00. The client receives the written appraisal with all information and value with photo of appraised quilt embedded, a statement of the appraiser’s qualifications, a cover letter of what to do with appraisal copies in terms of insurance, and a three‐page quilt care handout.
Verbal Appraisal: The cost of a verbal evaluation is $30.00. These are generally done on vintage quilts when folks simply want to know dating, patterns, fabrics, etc. No written paperwork is given for verbal evaluations, although the client may take notes.
You will want to get an appraisal for several reasons: (1) You'd like to get an objective appraisal for insurance purposes, in case of destruction or it disappears while being mailed to a quilt show; (2) You are donating a quilt and want to know its value for tax purposes; (3) Curiosity; or (4) Additional knowledge about the quilt.
If you are signed up for an appraisal, please fill out and bring the appropriate form to your scheduled appraisal:
New Quilt Pre-Appraisal Form (PDF) and/or, for vintage or antique quilts: Heritage Quilt Pre-Appraisal Form (PDF).
2017 Unraveled Quilt Store's Challenge
The Unraveled Quilt Store Challenge is open to the public.
Download: Unraveled Quilt Challenge (PDF)
PLEASE NOTE: Unraveled Quilt Store has run out of the challenge fabric.
General Challenge Rules:
- You must use a recognizable amount of the challenge fabric as an integral part of the entry. It must appear in the body of the quilt and not just in the border. The challenge fabric can be purchased at Unraveled Quilt Store.
- Other fabrics may be incorporated in the quilt.
- Quilts must be no larger than 25” x 25”.
- Entries must be finished quilts. No tops will be accepted.
- Entries must be clean and odor free when they are received or they may be returned without consideration for the competition.
- Entries can be made by an individual or a group. Additional prizes will not be awarded for group entries.
- You may enter as many quilts as you'd like as long as each quilt follows these rules.
- This challenge is open to the public.
- Entries must be dropped off at the Bloomington Convention Center on Thursday, November 9, 2017, between the hours of 2:30 and 6:00 pm.
- Quilts will be judged by Lisa at Unraveled and the BQG quilt show co-chairs. Judging will be based of originality and creativity, use of challenge fabric, visual impact and workmanship.
- Entries will be displayed at the Bloomington Quilters Guild (BQG) Quilts from the Heartland show November 10 and 11, 2017 at the Bloomington Convention Center.
- Winners will be selected and announced November 10, 2017 at the quilt show. The winners’ quilts will be displayed at Unraveled Quilt Store from November 13 to December 13, 2017.
- Non-winning quilts may be picked up at the Bloomington Convention Center on Saturday, November 11, 2017, between the hours of 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
How to prepare your quilt for submission
For the 2017 BQG Quilt Show, here are instructions to prepare your quilts for submission: sleeves, labels, and submission pillow cases:
How to Make a Sleeve and Labels (PDF)